Detectives today launched a murder inquiry following the grim discovery, with streets in a nearby industrial estate sealed off as part of the ongoing investigation.
Strathclyde Police confirmed the body had scorch marks and the victim had suffered horrific injuries.
- Poignant: An upset couple arrive at the murder scene to lay flowers where Mr Walker was brutally murdered
A spokesperson for the force said relatives of Mr Walker, the former assistant manager at the Royal Hotel in, Cumnock, have been informed of his death.
Strathclyde Police would not rule out that Mr Walker had been murdered because of his sexuality and were now closely examining all aspects of the victim’s life.
- Tributes: Flowers were left at the scene where Mr Walker’s charred body was discovered tied to a lampost
‘It is imperative that we find out where he was between 2.30am and 4.50am hours, who he was with and why this happened to him.
‘From our enquiries so far, we understand that there may have been a number of house parties in the nearby Netherthird housing estate in the early hours of the morning – between 2am and 3am hours.
‘At this time we do not know if these parties are linked to our investigation or not, so again, any information on that is important.
‘Officers are checking CCTV and carrying out door to door in the area and we would encourage anyone with information to approach them or to call Ayr Police Office.’
Kazza Sutherland used to work with Mr Walker at the Royal Hotel.
She said: ‘Can’t believe this is happened to such a great guy.
‘I hope they catch those who did this to him. Hopefully justice will be served and I hope those who did this go to hell.”
The popular former Cumnock Academy pupil was the subject of countless heartfelt tributes on a Facebook page set up in his honour.
On tribute left by Amanda Lindsay, said: ‘Poor Stuart can’t believe ur life ended in such a horrific way xx a young man who always had a smile on his face & put a smile on everybody elses face too xx I’m sure ur’s will be the brightest star in the sky xx R.I.P ma lovely.’
- Buried Alive (neatorama.com)
- Murder Probe After Man’s Burned Body Found (news.sky.com)
- Burning lover alive ‘sadism at its worst’ (theage.com.au)
- ‘Barbaric’ killer could get life (heraldsun.com.au)
- Video Surfaces Of Gay African Man Being Beaten, Burned To Death (lezgetreal.com)